Have you heard about CBD recently or seen it in a store you were perhaps not expecting to? That is because CBD is becoming one of the most rapidly growing, and positively reviewed, trends in the health and wellness movement. Unlike many remedies that make their way into 15 minutes of trendiness, CBD is about as time-tested a remedy as the human race has to offer, and without providing any kind of mind-altering high that marijuana is best associated with. In addition, CBD has been approved by the FDA for the legitimate and safe treatment of seizure conditions in children. Anecdotally, CBD provides assistance in treating the symptoms of common issues like anxiety, pain and insomnia. A Washington Post article said this about the promising uses medical researchers are finding CBD to possess:
Over decades, researchers have found that THC may help treat pain, nausea, loss of appetite and other problems, while CBD was thought to be biologically inactive in humans. But, in the last 10 years scientists have concluded that CBD may be quite useful. Dozens of studies have found evidence that the compound can treat epilepsy as well as a range of other illnesses including anxiety, schizophrenia, heart disease and cancer.
Behind oil tinctures, CBD pills (also referred to as CBD capsules, CBD gelcaps, CBD soft gels) are perhaps the most popular CBD products. They allow you to get the same direct and quick-acting effect that that tinctures give you with a slightly easier, and for those who are sensitive to the taste of CBD, more palatable option. Pills may be a particularly effective option for customers with busy schedules or constantly on the move. Tinctures may be cumbersome to access and administer at all times. While most oils are available in pleasant flavors, some may prefer the quick ease of a pill as opposed to the potentially messy tincture. Over the past few years, a greater number of CBD products such as CBD in capsule form have exploded onto the market. The annual market for CBD products is rapidly approaching $1 billion. Many analysts specifically interested in CBD project very high growth rates; and a rapid market take-off on the assumption of a clear regulatory regime. While many CBD products are today sold in Mom and Pop shops or small intra-state vendors. Several larger companies are vying to become the first marquee brand in a rapidly expanding industry. Tomorrow’s CBD products will likely be sold at Costco, not only specialty food groceries. This is due to reasons ranging from state laws being passed to allow the sale and consumption of CBD to an influx in the number of people trying the product, seeing the health benefits of CBD themselves, and then sharing their experiences. The FDA has even recently approved one CBD product for children with epilepsy. One thing about CBD is that if you try a pure, high-quality version of the compound, odds are you are going to like it.
Aside from CBD pills featuring pure (or CBD isolate) versions of CBD, there are a variety of supplement manufacturers that are exploring combing CBD with other products to make a more effective product. The pill gives the consumer to balance or mix CBD with other compounds that may prevent health and wellness. These hybrid CBD pills include:
- CBD and Turmeric: Combining CBD with turmeric is a great way to amplify the compound's natural anti-inflammatory properties. One of the most common uses for CBD has to do with pain caused by inflammation. Turmeric, too, has been used for over a century in India and other countries as a homeopathic remedy for muscle and joint issues that modern medicine now knows are due, at least in part, to inflammation. There are some CBD pills that combine other products alongside CBD and Turmeric.
- CBD and Vitamin B / Caffeine: Combining CBD with vitamin B and or caffeine results in a supplement that can be used in the mornings, afternoons, or even before a workout to relax your muscles and give you energy simultaneously. While noticeable levels are fatigue are only reported by a small number of CBD users, a bit of tiredness is typically one of the side-effects associated with CBD. That is why many CBD users prefer to take the product at night, and especially before bed. If, however, your CBD pill combines the compound with energy-producing stimulants like vitamin B and OR caffeine, you can have all the benefits of an isolated or pure CBD supplement without any of the potentials for fatigue.
- CBD and Melatonin: CBD with melatonin can be taken at night to increase CBD's natural calming effects. While CBD isn't known to put people asleep, it will calm your mind and relax your muscles—so when you add those effects to the sleep-inducing effects of melatonin, you have yourself a pretty potent sleep supplement. Some people react poorly to melatonin, so if you are interested in trying it, start with a very small dosage of only a few milligrams (5 or less). Also, if you have insomnia, it may be worth trying pure CBD-pills (that is, ones without any melatonin) first before you move onto versions that include melatonin.
- CBD and Ashawahanga: Both CBD and ashawahanga are considered "adaptogens." Adaptogens are substances or compounds that work with the body to produce a relaxed mental and physical state. It is very important the hustle and bustle modern world include some amount of adaptogens in your daily health and wellness routine to promote healthy well-being. Supplements that combine CBD with ashawahanga are very promising and are sure to increase in popularity as both CBD and ashawahanga are known to have fantastic results.
The combination of CBD and other health and wellness supplements/substances has been well received by consumers. The addition of other components can help mitigate some of CBD’s side-effects. For example, CBD can cause drowsiness, so the addition of caffeine can provide a more well-rounded feeling that will mitigate this side-effect. These mixtures can help consumers custom-tailor their CBD experience to match their changing daily needs and schedules.
There are also three basic types of CBD mixtures, by virtue of how thorough an extraction process is, that can be taken in pills. The difference in these extraction processes basically comes down to the level of purity and other plant material and cannabinoids that is present in the product.
Types of CBD Pills
- Full Spectrum CBD: Even though full-spectrum CBD contains the full range of cannabinoids is not considered a hybrid product, it is important to note what it is. Full-spectrum CBD is any CBD product that is not pure CBD (or CBD isolate). Most full-spectrum CBD products contain multiple other cannabinoids found in the Cannabis plant. The manufacturers of these products believe CBD works best when combined with the other cannabinoids derived from the Cannabis plant. This theory is referred to as the entourage effect.
- Broad Spectrum CBD: Broad spectrum CBD is between full spectrum and CBD isolate. While it does not solely contain CBD, it does contain other cannabinoids. However, the amount of cannabinoids is significant less than full spectrum CBD.
- CBD Isolate: This is the purest and most potent form of CBD. There is only CBD in this product. It is very important when shopping for this product that you ensure companies are transparent about the manufacturing process. Some vendors will provide detailed descriptions of their manufacturing processes. Also, a big way to differentiate between vendors is to check whether their product’s claims are lab verified. The FDA and other groups have found many CBD products do not accurately represent their contents. Shopping for top-echelon providers will make sure you get the pure CBD isolate that you paid for.
How Do CBD Pills Work?
CBD is one of the many different cannabinoids that are derived from the Cannabis plant (the most well-known cannabinoid of the Cannabis plant is called tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC). Both CBD and THC provide similar health benefits, but CBD product users prefer CBD over THC because THC causes psychoactive reactions, whereas CBD does not. This is a very important fact about CBD remember. CBD, despite its association with marijuana, does not get a user “high” or produce any psychoactive effects. In fact, there is promising research into the use of CBD as an antipsychotic and it has been found to likely even reduce the psychoactive effects of THC.
CBD pills work by delivering CBD (or cannabidiol) directly into your system where the compound, which is technically a type of cannabinoid, interacts with the brain's endocannabinoid system to limit signals of pain, anxiety, depression, and other negative "firings" that can occur. Some doctors have said it promotes equanimity in the brain; hence the research into its use as an anti-psychotic.
In addition to its actions in the brain, the effects of CBD also work to "attack" the direct cause of main muscle and joint problems. Namely, by reducing inflammation, making CBD anti-inflammatory.
Although not completely understood, there is no doubt that inflammation is linked to more diseases and ailments than almost any other symptom. Whether it is heart disease, arthritis, joint problems, or the like, inflammation is oftentimes involved in some way or another.
It is important to always remember that any supplement, which most CBD is sold as, is not regulated by the FDA. This means, until further medical research and validation of results amongst human trial participants, the proper dose of CBD (most effective) is not known. Though CBD shows a lot of promise; it is not currently a medicine except for sufferers of seizures. You should not use CBD instead of a prescription medication, or at all without talking to your physician. CBD is known to have side effects such as fatigue, irritability and dry mouth. It can also interact with medications in a way similar to grapefruit juice. Other than seizures CBD should not be used to cure any ailment, only to help with its symptoms.
What are CBD Pills Used For?
CBD is a highly tolerated compound that can be used in a number of different ways. For pain relief, some people prefer to use CBD topically, rubbing CBD-infused creams or balms directly on their sore muscles or joints. This practice is particularly popular among people living with arthritis as well as serious weightlifters and athletes.
Among those who take CBD orally, the most popular options include CBD oil capsules, CBD pills, CBD gel capsules, and CBD gummies. Some prefer one or the other but, ultimately, all three can be used for the following purposes:
- Arthritis: As mentioned, CBD is increasingly popular among people living with arthritis. Those who have arthritis are no longer relegated to having to take potentially harmful opioids or non-prescription pain medications like Ibuprofen and or Tylenol. CBD pills offer them a long-term, natural solution to their chronic pain and promote better well-being.
- Muscle Pain or Soreness: Basic muscle pain and soreness from working out hard or other physically demanding activities or medical conditions can be addressed quite easily by CBD pills. CBD creams are also a popular option for muscle and joint pain or soreness.
Anxiety: Anxiety is a troubling common mental illness that may, in some cases, be treatable by CBD. Many anxiety sufferers have reported feeling much calmer and more relaxed after adding CBD to their daily routines. Also, another great thing about CBD pills or soft gels is they offer a far more convenient and less stigmatized option—which is important because so many anxiety sufferers fail to get treatment from shame over the disorder, or lack motivation.
- Insomnia or Trouble Sleeping: One of the most common reasons that people take CBD pills is to help them sleep.
If you suffer from any of the mentioned medical conditions, diseases or ailments, it's probably worth talking to your doctor about giving CBD pills a try as the compound is very well tolerated and has only minor, rarely experienced symptom. It is important to remember that before the medical applications and effect on humans of CBD is fully understood that you should not take CBD with the expectation of curing any disease or ailment. Rather it should be taken as part of a wider health and wellness regiment to mitigate symptoms of discomforts of underlying conditions like generalized anxiety disorder, or arthritis. It will not cure these conditions, but many consumers have found it makes living with them significantly more tolerable and comfortable. Always remember to loop in your personal physician into your decision and motivations for using CBD!